PHAROS LODGE No. 6967
Consecrated 29th April 1950
PROVINCE OF EAST KENT
A Brief History
List of Founders:
The Rev. Llewellyn W. C. Langley, B.Sc., P.M., P.P.G.Chap.Edward F. Prescott, P.M., P.P.S.G.D.
W. Wilton Baxter, M.A., O. d’Acad., P.M., P.P.G.Org.George R. Plater, P.M.
Frank L. Kendall, M.A., P.M.
Francis J. Ryeland, P.M.
Sydney H. Morris, W.M. No. 1436.
Alfred H. Gunn.
Frederick G. Ryeland.
Archibald S. Lewis.
Dan H. Smith.
H. Arnold Stanway, B.A.
Edmund Crush, M.C.
Reginald G. Holloway.
Leslie W. H. N. Hookham.
Eric W. Pudney.
The passing of Frank S. Downs, P.M., P.P.S.G.D.
The Lodge Crest was designed by Bro. Keith Crush.
THE PHAROS MASONIC LODGE 6967
The Pharos in Dover Castle dates from the second Roman Invasion of Britain and was erected about A. D. 43, which establishes it as the oldest existing building in the country. It served as a beacon or lighthouse for Roman shipping entering Dover from the Continent as Dover was then, as now, the most convenient port in Britain for that purpose.
Two of these structures were built by the Romans to mark the entrance to the harbour at Dover, which was at the mouth of the River Dour, situated roughly where the Market Square now stands and where the public house known as The Roman Quay is situated.
The Pharos in Dover Castle was the eastern beacon and the other was situated on the Western Heights to the west of the harbour. This latter building no longer exists but traces of it remain and are known as the Bredenstone.
All the Founders of the Lodge were either Old Boys or past and present members of the staff of Dover Grammar School for Boys. For many years The Pharos has been the name used for the School magazine and an artist’s impression of the building has been incorporated on the front cover since 1913. The Old Boy’s Association has been known for many years as the “Old Pharosians”.
The original function of the Pharos and the School motto Fiat Lux and all that both imply have a significant Masonic meaning, and the Founders of the Lodge felt justified in adopting both for the Lodge. Both are expressed in the Lodge crest which was designed by Bro. Keith Crush, an Old Boy of the School.
The membership of the Lodge was restricted to former pupils or staff of the Dover Grammar for Boys until 1993 when it was decided that in order to safeguard the future of the Lodge membership would be opened to everyone who met the high standards of moral conduct laid down by the Founders.
The Pharos Lodge meets at the Masonic Hall, Snargate Street, Dover, the 3rd Saturday in January, March (Installation), April, October and November at 6pm.
After the ceremony, we have a meal which at present costs £14.50, excluding wine.
A lot of work goes into our ceremonies, so to rehearse we meet on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of January to April, October and November, plus the 3rd Friday in September, all at 7pm. All members are encouraged to attend as it is not only a time to practice, but also to get to know fellow members better.
Masonry has been recently publicised on Sky television with a series reporting on some of its activities. Very few people realise that, after the National Lottery, Freemasons are the second largest donors to Charity, indeed London Masons have fully funded the purchase and running costs of one of the London Air Ambulances, flown by Prince William.
Like most Lodges we have social events throughout the year, the objective being to raise money for charity whilst at the same time enjoying ourselves. With over 10 lodges based at the Masonic Hall in Dover, many of which hold their own functions, there are many opportunities to socialise. In Dover Masonry continues to support local charities and make substantial donations to good causes throughout the district and wider afield.
Below is an extract from the The Pharos Magazine at the time of the consecration by Lord Cornwallis of the then new Pharos Lodge. If you are interested in finding out more about masonry, or joining please get in contact directly to either Arthur Hornby email@example.com, or Roger Gabriel firstname.lastname@example.org or through the UGLE Just Ask One Website at http://justaskone.org/.
If you are already a mason and would like to visit Pharos Lodge in Dover we would love to hear from you.
Extract from the Dover Boys Grammar School Magazine
No. 110. JULY, 1950. VOL. XL.
LODGE No. 6967.
Saturday, April 29th, 1950, will go down in history as one of the great days of the School—especially for a certain section of Old Boys.
By mid-day the un-made road on Whinless Downs outside the School was packed two-deep with cars. By three o’clock the line extended as far as the Isolation Hospital. The reason? Some five hundred members of Masonic Lodges from all over the county had come to witness the consecration by Lord Cornwallis of a new Lodge — our own, the Pharos NO. 6967 on the register of the Grand Lodge of England.
And all Old Pharosians have every reason to be even prouder of their old School after such a ceremony!
To begin with, it would be difficult to find a finer setting for the mediaeval splendour of such an occasion than that offered by the School Hall as it had been laid out, with devoted care and attention, by some of the founders.
When everyone was seated round the huge square carpet covering the floor of the Hall, there could rarely have been seen a finer spectacle.
Despite many awkward moments before the great day, not a single “incident” marred the smooth running of the ceremony, and many were the expressions of enthusiastic admiration from the most varied sources. Appended is a list of the founders, as I am sure many Old Boys will want to know who these were.
When we say that, after Lord Cornwallis had consecrated the Lodge, the first Master
of the Pharos Lodge, W.Bro. Llewellyn Langley, P.P.G.C., was installed by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, all Old Boys will know how well the new Lodge will be ruled and governed this first year! With Bro. A. H. Gunn and Bro. F. Ryeland to assist him, a happy and successful year is assured.
It is interesting to note that one Grand Lodge Officer present, W.Bro. Durban, was a pupil at the School nearly fifty years ago! Present also to wish success to the new Lodge were representatives of the Old Dovorians, Old Harveians, and Old
Previous to the ceremony, an official lunch was held in the School dining hall, where more than 150 guests sat down to what must have been one of the best—and best-served—meals since pre-war days. It would be invidious to mention names of those rendering special services to the new Lodge—all contributed their share I must, however, be allowed to say that but for the Herculean labour of W.Bro. F. Prescott it is unlikely that the project so long cherished by a few of us would have materialised.
And so, once more (and this time how much more apt the saying!)—FIAT LUX.
Below is a gallery of Past Masters and some of their jewels.
Click on the images to enlarge.
More details can be found using Lane’s Masonic Records – in Dover District by clicking here